Wednesday, October 11, 2006

random musical post....i.e. i <3 the Hold Steady

so this post doesn't really have to much of a purpose. bored at work so i thought i vomit some words about some musical interests of late. as me, and all the other members of the blogger world know the new Hold Steady came out last week and i absolutely love it. if Springsteen drank more and smoked more cigarettes that would encompass Craig Finn and his barroom voice to match the "drink a bottle of Jack" gritty guitar of this amazing new album. i think for me it just makes sense for this album to be released into my life right now. the reasons for that are self indulgent and of no real interest to the three people that read this site but hey let's just say it works for me.

stand out tracks by far are "Citrus" which is the simple acoustic song on the record but right now in contention for my favorite line of the year. "i've had kisses that make Judas seem sincere." these guys are perfect. when you are looking for the boozing, drug addled lyrics of the midwestern hipsters the lyrics on this album deliver. and the thing that i think is the most interesting is that you can actually believe the lyrics are genuine. some albums such as this you might not believe the story that is being told but i believe Finn.

ok enough critical handjobing. other bands and songs interesting me right now.
Demetri Martin- hilarious NY comic along the lines of Mitch Hedburg. finally got a hold of his cd and it is quite fun.
Yo La Tengo- I'm Not Afraid of You and I Will Be Your Ass: i have to thank my brother for getting me into Yo La Tengo. it took me some time to get into it but it is a fun album, especially for studying.
My Morning Jacket- Okonokos: the live album from the MMJ boys which is the perfect late night car ride album. i loved Z which came out last year and this one just expands on that and in some cases sounds better than the recorded version.

that's it for now. stay tuned because in two weeks the new My Chemical Romance cd comes out and i'm interested to see what my reaction to that will be. peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home